In the Impossible - A Reminder to Self

When they can't speak very often or much
When they can't control their bladder
When they writhe in pain
And cry, quite frequently

How is that person lovable?

When this happens often
Is not the exception
When this person is young
And this may last forever

I say it again

But make my emphasis clear

How (in what ways) is that person lovable (all of them)

Another person's inability to to love me

Is a reflection of themselves

I thrash up against this concept

I choose, as often as I can, to believe in the possibility of my lovability

Even when I cannot speak

Even when I cannot offer any of the traditional

Even if I am dying

Even if the voices tell me I have nothing left to give

I respond, When did giving become equated with worth?

We can love as people pass

Even when their passing is long is drawn out -- like most of us

Even when the signs and symptoms of leaving are more visible

There is always enough left, when we are here, when we are gone

to be loved.

Comments